Monday, September 6, 2010

Odessa, Ukraine


I took a day off from organized tours and just enjoyed a leisurely walk and some lunch with a couple of friends (The Doctor and a bartender... I like to cover my bases!) thru the beautiful city of Odessa. Sorry I don't have much "back story" for you, just a few photos and observations.





The first major feature you run across is this hillside of steps that lead from the port up to the level of the main city.


They're sort of famous because when you view them from the bottom towards the top (as seen here with my friend, Dr. Ian), one sees only stairs, no landings:




But, seen from the top down, one sees only landings and no stairs; kooky, huh?


It was Sunday and the locals enjoyed gathering under the tree lined boulevards:



The Opera House was spectacular and a very popular spot for taking wedding photos. We saw dozens of weddings going on in both Yalta and Odessa:

Literally a dozen or more luxury cars and stretch limos would be lined up, waiting as bridal parties take turns with the photographers memorializing their special day of nuptials. Check out the oversized plastic wedding rings and floral tributes that most of the vehicles sported:


More impressive yet, were the bridal fashions... check out the post-soviet era threads:



I was more impressed with the lovely croissants and pastries at a sidewalk coffee shop!



So we're off to Bosnia tomorrow (I think!). I've got my second big show tonite for this cruise so no tours booked for a bit. Might have to see Mary's House in Kusadasi at the end of this voyage in a couple of days... we'll see how it goes!

Keep in touch and safe travels!!



No comments:

Post a Comment