Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mediterranean, Ionian and Aegean Seas

Been a while since I've updated my little blog. I've been seeing some wonderful places but many of them don't hold universal appeal like Rome, Pisa, etc. I don't mean to imply that they're not amazing, wonderful ports, but only that these cruises are more for enjoying the wonderful scenery with a touch of their ancient history.

Most of the ports on these last two cruises of this contract take us to the Greek Islands and Turkey. We sailed from Athens to Istanbul and now have reversed the itinerary for this final cruise. Some of the ports are one's we've visited before, which is fun for me as I can either take a different excursion to see different sights, or more usually, visit the port city to take in some local food, shopping, or just sight seeing

Rather than lots of historical commentary as I've been giving, here's a collection of photos from several recent ports. The weather's been almost universally fantastic, which you'll see in the photos.


Santorini, Greece

I decided to be adventuresome and walk the 600+ stairs from the top of the cliffs down to the port... watch out for the donkies!






Mykonos, Greece

Made famous by the jet-setting couple Jackie and Aristotle Onasis, the village of Mykonos is certainly delightful.










Sorry I have to dash... I just spent an hour tweaking these photos w/ captions, etc. only to find out that my time had expired at this internet cafe and I lost all the work... err! I hope to have another post soon; tomorrow we return for our 3rd visit to Santorini and there are 9 ships scheduled to be in port... ya don't wanna be there then!

I'm going on an excursion in which they'll pick us up at the ship and take us to the island where the volcano is located. We'll hike up the volcano and then go swimming in the caldera where there are some hot springs in the sea. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment